Monday, September 3, 2012

World War 3 Illustrated #43

Be sure to check out issue #43 of World War 3 Illustrated, featuring my art on the back cover.



Founded in 1980 by Seth Tobocman and Peter Kuper, World War 3 Illustrated has been publishing critical political comics, graphics, and stories ever since.

The art piece, titled Finger of Defiance, was first used on the cover of Zine El-Arab #1, and was also available on t-shirts through my online shop. And for the trivia lovers... the hand was actually modeled by my good friend and wicked cartoonist Nidal ElKhairy from Amman, Jordan.

3 comments:

ibn Salama said...

I can see that you were inspired by the iconic cover of Alan Moore's "Watchmen" (blood on a yellow background),..
But will it be obvious for a western reader that the finger here is an obscene gesture?!.. It looks different than the usual "upright middle finger"!!

Ganzeer said...

Oh man, I totally love that Watchmen cover. Definitely one of my all time favorites! You'll definitely notice that when I work on images of the attention-grabbing sort, I tend to lean towards yellow backgrounds, also due to their association with warning signs.

I definitely think western readers "get it" for sure, based at least on the responses I've gotten from online T-shirt sales, etc. I think... given the lack of any other fingers... its hard to miss ;-)

E.H. said...

I think we got it ;)

Related:

Related Posts with Thumbnails